Astoria's Old City Hall building, a neoclassical structure designed by prominent Portland architect Emil Schacht in 1904, is home to the Historical Society's Archive and local history museum. Clatsop County's rich and exciting history is featured in the museum's permanent and changing exhibit galleries.
Objects on display include a thousand year old American Indian hunting implement, finely crafted 19th century Chinook and Clatsop Indian baskets. Also included is a sea otter pelt and a beaver hat which sheds light on the early history of Fort Astoria. Logging and fishing, the two economic mainstays since the 1870s, are represented in collections of tools, equipment, and photographs. The stories of the many diverse ethnic groups which settled in the area are depicted in the Immigrants Gallery.
On the second floor is Vice and Virtue in Clatsop County: 1890 to Prohibition. The gallery contains a partially reconstructed Astoria saloon and illustrates Astoria's seedy past when the town was known along the West Coast for its saloons and brothels. Researchers are welcome. Hours can be found on the archive page of this site. Other hours available by appointment, please call (503) 338-4849 to schedule.